The center brings together the expertise of fusion scientists and astrophysicists from a variety of Max-Planck centers in Germany, as well as different groups within Princeton University. The participating institutions are:
- Department of Astrophysical Sciences, Princeton University
- Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory (PPPL)
- Max-Planck-Institut für Plasmaphysik (IPP)
- Max-Planck-Institut für Astrophysik
- Max Planck Institute for Solar System Research
In addition, a number of affiliated centers are participating in research conducted at the center.